Careers and Graduate Success in English/Journalism
Many of our students become professional journalists and teachers, but others have forged their own paths to places like the White House or work in Alaska.
English and Journalism majors are well-prepared to enter any field they wish. While many follow vocations in traditional fields involving teaching, writing and publishing, our graduates have also distinguished themselves in areas as diverse as law, banking, agribusiness, microbiology, politics and the arts. The skills you develop in reading, writing and critical thinking as an English/Journalism major at Augustana will guide you to success in whatever endeavor you may choose.
Recent English alumni include:
- Jessica Ruf ‘19, writer/copy editor, Diverse: Issues in Higher Education (Washington, D.C.)
- Courtney Arthur ‘18, law student, University of Louisville
- Alexandra Johnson ’18, language arts teacher, Jefferson High School (Sioux Falls)
- Kaelyn Dieter ’17, editor and publicist (Aberdeen, S.D.)
- Hannah Redder ‘15, writer, New York (MFA, New York University)
- Matthew Stoffel ’15 – Sales and outreach manager, 9 Clouds Marketing (Sioux Falls/Minneapolis); playwright and actor (Minneapolis)
- Alex Hjerpe Smith ’14, ordained ELCA pastor (Webster/Waubay, S.D.)
- Crystal Ortbahn ’14, disease intervention specialist (Pierre, S.D.)
- Sonia Halbach '11, novelist (The Krampus Chronicle) and blogger, New York
- Luke Tatge '09, creative director, Epicosity Marketing; publisher, Sioux Falls Stage, Sioux Falls
- Jason Van Engen ’07, principal, Alcester-Hudson Junior/Senior High School, Alcester, S.D.
- Jess Winter ’07, librarian, Omaha Public Schools, Omaha
- Lacey Horkey Dixon ‘06, vice president, advancement and marketing, YMCA of Grand Rapids (Mich.)
- Michael Goodwin ’04, attorney, Minnesota Attorney General’s office, St. Paul, Minn.
- Courtney Huse-Wika ’04, associate professor of English and philosophy, Black Hills State University (Spearfish, S.D.)
Recent journalism alumni include:
- Noah Wicks ’21 -- Associate editor, Agri-Pulse (South Dakota/Washington D.C.)
- Rebekah Tuchscherer ’20 -- Agriculture/environment reporter, Sioux Falls Argus Leader; contributor, Science magazine
- Jacob Knutson ’19 – Reporter/writer, Axios (Washington, D.C.)
- Marcus Asmus ‘18 – Photojournalist/videographer, KQDS-Fox21, Duluth, Minn.
- Naras Pramaswari ’17 – Multimedia journalist, Voice of America Indonesia Service, (Washington, D.C.)
- Maria Lavelle ’17 – Filmmaker, New York/Norway (MFA, New York University)
- Matthew Housiaux ’16 – Associate editor, Kiplinger Business Letter (Washington, D.C.)
- Sarah Kocher ’16 – Reporter, St. Cloud (Minn.) Times
- Megan Raposa ’15 -- Founder/editor, Sioux Falls Simplified
- September Symens-Lacroix ’15 – Digital marketing coordinator, Mosaic (Omaha)
- Kirstie Wollman ’12 -- Graphic designer, Matt Jensen Marketing (Sioux Falls)
- Jenny Lockhart ’11 -- Account services director, 9 Clouds Marketing (Sioux Falls)
- Maren Jensen ’10 -- Content marketing manager, Sanford Health (Sioux Falls)
- Angela Shubert Dejene ’09 – Founder and president, Dejene Communications (Minneapolis)
- Bryann Becker Knecht ’08 – Communications Coordinator, Office of the Mayor, Sioux Falls
- Kaeti Hinck ’07 – Director of Visual News, CNN (New York)