The Augustana Academy

Augustana Academy, Canton, South Dakota, in 1910.

Augustana Academy was the home of Augustana University (Augustana College at the time) from 1903 to 1918.

By 1918, city and business leaders lobbied hard for Augustana to relocate to Sioux Falls. Church leaders made the decision to merge Augustana College in Canton with the Lutheran Normal School in Sioux Falls under the name Augustana College and Normal School. In 1926, "and Normal School" was dropped from the name, and the site in Canton eventually became Augustana Academy. Despite the similarities in name, it was no longer affiliated with the College, though many alumni of Augustana Academy went on to attend college at Augustana.

In 1971 when the Academy closed, Augustana University took over the Academy’s records, and Augustana’s Center for Western Studies became home to the archives of the Academy. The digital archives are available online.

The Augustana Academy Endowed Scholarship fund allows Augustana University to award scholarships each year to descendants of Academy alumni. Make a gift in support of this scholarship.

Alumni and Friends Council

Several members of the Augustana Academy family serve on the Council.

  • Lyle Eidsness '59, President
  • Richard Akland '66
  • Alan Berdahl ’67
  • Jean Sorteberg Eidsness ’59
  • Phyllis Bolstad Hanson '52
  • Rev. David Johnson ’52
  • Karen Kvistero Moe ’67
  • Alice Hofstad Loddigs ’69
  • Obed Nelson ’60
  • John Paulson '68