Skip to main content
Highlights, Special Features, and Opportunities
- Janet Blank-Libra received Augustana’s most prestigious faculty teaching award, the Vernon and Mildred Niebuhr Faculty Excellence Award, in 2005. Patrick Hicks, Jeffrey Miller and Darcie-Rives East have been award nominees.
- Patrick Hicks received the Frederick C. Kohlmeyer Distinguished Teacher Award in 2018.
- Danny Gerling received the Granskou Award for Professional Development in 2019.
- Darcie Rives-East was awarded the Jane and Charles Zaloudek Faculty Research Fellowship in 2016.
- Janet Blank-Libra served as the Stanley L. Olsen Chair of Moral Values, 2010-2013.
- Danny Gerling won the Augustana Student Association Best Teacher Award in 2019. Jeffrey Miller received the same award in 2014, and Janet Blank-Libra won in 2008.
- Covenant Award Winners
- Christian Faith – Alexandra Hjerpe Smith ’14 (English/Journalism)
- Liberal Arts – Shannon Cumiskey ’10 (English)
- Liberal Arts – Crystal Ortbahn ’14 (English)
- Excellence – Lacey Horkey Dixon ’06 (English/Journalism)
- Excellence – Sarah Ochsner ’06 (English)
- Excellence – Naomi Gades ’07 (English)
- Excellence – Megan Raposa ’15 (Journalism)
- Excellence – Matthew Housiaux ’16 (Journalism)
- Excellence – Josh Barrows ’19 (English)
- Community – Mari Stensgaard ’11 (English/Journalism)
- Community – Jenny Lockhart ’11 (English/Journalism)
- Service – Leah Blom ’19 (Journalism)
- Students have the chance to graduate with honors through the Alpha Xi Mu chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, the national English honors society.
- Students in English and Journalism hone their skills in writing, editing and publishing by working on our newspaper, The Mirror, our yearbook, EDDA, and our literary journal, The Venture.
- Many department majors share what they’ve learned with the Augustana community by tutoring in the Writing Center, where students from all over campus come for help with their writing.