Frequently Asked Questions

These are some questions frequently asked by new students and families of new students. If you are a current student, visit our current student FAQ page. It is important for all students to review the Student Handbook, including Community Standards for housing as well as the Code of Student Conduct

Q: Who is required to live on campus?

A: As a residential university, Augustana affirms the value of living in community together and therefore requires students to live in on-campus housing. The university has a two-year residency requirement for students.

Q: What percentage of students lives on campus?

A: Over 2/3 of our full-time students choose to live on campus.

Q: When will I find out my room and roommate assignment?

A: Assignments, including roommate information, will be available July 1 on your student portal for students starting in the fall semester. For students starting in the spring semester, room assignment information will be available in early January on your portal.

Q: How is my roommate assigned?

A: Every housing application is carefully examined and efforts to assign your roommate are based on several criteria. Students who do NOT designate a mutual request for each other on the housing contract will be assigned roommates on the basis of the best judgment of the Center for Campus Life, using all information listed. In accordance with the University's non-discrimination policies and procedures, roommates are assigned without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sexual orientaion, national origin, age, ancestry, or disability. Roommates are assigned on the basis of gender, except in flexible (gender-inclusive) housing communities.

Q: May I reserve a single room?

A: Typically, there are no single rooms available for new students. A select few singles are reserved for new students who have documented and approved medical accommodation needs.

Q: Are your residence halls co-ed?

A: Bergsaker, East, Granskou, Solberg, and Stavig Halls are co-ed by floor or by wing. Tuve Hall's Endeavor community is also co-ed by wing. Tuve Hall's Serve. Grow. Lead. community is co-ed by room, and Tuve Hall's Flexible Housing floor offers gender-inclusive housing (more info below).

Q: Does Augustana offer gender-inclusive housing?

A: Yes, currently we offer gender-inclusive housing on the first floor of Tuve Hall. This community has a single-user, all-gender restroom and gives students the option to live with a roommate regardless of gender identity. This floor is open to all students, including first-years. All apartments and theme houses are also gender-inclusive. More information about flexible (gender-inclusive) housing.

Q: Can my friends of another gender visit me in my room?

A: You may have visitors of another gender in your residence hall room from 10 am to 2 am daily.

Q: May my friends stay overnight?

A: Overnight guests of the same gender are permitted in your room for up to two consecutive nights.

Q: Are pets permitted in the residence halls?

A: Yes, but only if your pet happens to be a fish. No other pets are allowed in the residence halls.

Q: What kind of stuff should I bring with me?

A: There are a variety of things you might want to bring with you when you move in to the residence hall. Rooms are furnished with curtains, beds, closets, dressers, desk chairs, desks, and a Microchill unit. Visit What to Pack for ideas.

Q: Am I allowed to decorate my room?

A: It is important that your room be the kind of space in which you and your roommate feel comfortable. The way in which you decorate it should reflect your personalities and living needs. There are, however, a few guidelines that you will want to keep in mind as you begin to decorate your room. Items that cannot be removed without damaging the walls, shelves, or furniture should not be used. No structural or electrical alterations (including installation of ceiling fans) may be made. You should remember that any damages to your room will result in a charge and possible disciplinary action to you and your roommate.

Q: Are refrigerators permitted in the residence halls?

A: Every residence hall room is equipped with a Microchill unit (fridge, freezer, microwave) at no additional cost. If you want a small fridge for personal use, they must be less than 4.0 cubic feet.

Q: Am I allowed to have a microwave in my room?

A: The Microchill unit in your residence hall room includes a microwave. There are also microwaves in the kitchens of each building. Additional microwaves for your room are not allowed.

Q: Can I cook in the residence halls?

A: Students are welcome to cook in the designated kitchens in each residence hall. Cooking in other areas of the hall is not permitted due to fire safety and sanitation concerns.

Q: Will I have access to cable television?

A: If you would like cable in your residence hall room, apartment, or theme house, you must contact Midcontinent Communications directly to set up a cable subscription. Cable TV is available in common areas in every residence hall.

Q: Are lofts permitted in residence hall rooms?

A: Lofts may be rented through College Products for Bergsaker, Solberg, and East Halls. More information is available on your portal. Stavig and Granskou Halls have modular furniture, meaning you can use the individual pieces in your room to create a multitude of loft configurations. Tuve Hall furniture has lofting capabilities as-is. Your Viking Advisor and Hall Director can offer guidance on the variety of lofting options in these halls. You are not permitted to bring your own loft.

Q: If I bring some of my own furniture, will Augustana remove and store their furniture?

A: No, you are required to retain all Campus Life provided furnishings in your room or apartment.

Q: Do on-campus housing facilities have air conditioning?

A: Bergsaker, East, Solberg, and Tuve Halls do not have air conditioning, so we recommend you bring a fan if you are living in one of those buildings. Portable air conditioners are not permitted. Granskou and Stavig Halls, as well as all apartments and theme houses, have air conditioning.

Q: Is alcohol permitted in the residence halls?

A: The possession and use of alcoholic beverages in University-owned housing is prohibited, except in designated theme houses and apartments when students are 21 years of age or older. A detailed description of this alcohol policy is found in the Student Handbook under Alcoholic Beverages.

Q: Who should I contact if I have more questions?

Please contact the Center for Campus Life. We will happily answer your questions and connect you to the appropriate staff. We are located in the Edith Mortenson Center (#5 on the campus map), and we are open 8 am-5 pm, Monday-Friday. You can also call or email us at 605-274-5215 or