Living in a theme house is a unique on-campus housing option for small groups of third and fourth-year students. Theme houses are designed for students looking to not only experience a little more independence in their living situation, but also focus more deeply on their passion for service, activism or outreach.
A competitive application process identifies theme house residents based upon selection criteria that emphasizes a commitment to engage in service learning and volunteer projects throughout the academic year. Each year, interested students apply in groups of 2 – 15 students, creating a proposal that speaks to what their group would like to accomplish by living together in community for the year. The proposal includes their theme and describes how the group would like to “live out” the chosen theme. These proposals include a plan for service projects for the academic year, focus on how the theme will enhance individual curricular and co-curricular experiences at Augustana, and address what the group would like to gain from living together.
Apply for a theme house through returning student room selection.
Current Theme House Information and Forms
The following forms are available for use by current theme house liaisons only:
- Theme House Responsibilities and Expectations
- Theme House Funding Request Form - Use this form when requesting funds for upcoming service projects, events, or activities.
Theme House Advisors
Theme House Advisors serve as a significant contact for each theme house throughout the development and implementation of the application and subsequent service projects related to the theme. Advisors are meant to help guide a group of students through the process of formulating their goals for the theme, developing a successful application, and translating that process into action, in the form of community service projects and other programs. These advisors help to present a fresh perspective geared toward strengthening the thought and planning that goes into each theme.
Generally, advisors are expected to engage in the following ways:
- Assist interested students in refining a theme and completing their application for a theme house;
- Assist residents of the house in setting goals and objectives for the theme house;
- As often as possible, promote and attend programs related to the theme;
- Meet with theme house liaisons at least three times a semester;
- Meet a couple of times each semester with all members of the house to assist with ongoing evaluation of progress toward identified theme goals;
- Assist students in recruitment of additional residents if occupancy changes during the year.
For more information about becoming a theme house advisor, please contact the Campus Life Office at 605.274.5215.
Theme House Furniture
The following furniture is provided in each theme house.
- Twin XL bed in each bedroom
- Dresser in each bedroom
- Desk and desk chair in each bedroom
- Coffee and/or end tables
- Kitchen table and chairs
Each theme house kitchen includes a full-size refrigerator and stove.
What to Bring
Theme house living is more independent than living in the residence halls, so students should remember to pack the following items:
- Dishware and cookware
- Cleaning supplies
- Shower curtain
- Toilet paper